A Legend. Reborn.
HD Cart is a high-density reverb plugin modelled after a legendary expansion for one of the most sought after and expensive reverb units of all time. It was next to impossible to walk into almost any professional recording studio in the mid to late 1980s – and for many years after – and not have one be in the room somewhere. So many of the most cherished and well-known recordings of all time owe a large part of their ambience and overall sound to this iconic state of the art (at the time) processor.
The HD and surround expansion cartridge for this unit contained the only algorithm to ever fully take advantage of its considerable dual-board processing capabilities. This amazing program was capable of being used in quadraphonic, 5.0 surround or high-density stereo reverb modes resulting in dense, rich audio unlike any other reverb processor.
The full complement of controls available on the original unit have been recreated in HD Cart including:
- Spread: for powerful room re-dimensioning
- Diffusion: control room reflectivity for convincing small rooms to lush cathedrals and chambers
- Size and time: with pin-point accuracy model the size and character of a room
- Modulation: control the classic spin and wander of this heritage algorithm
- Frequency dependent decay: from sizzling highs to tight lows, the tone of the room can be controlled with ease
- Early reflections: control the tone and timing of a series of modulated early reflections
Not present in the original device, enhancements to the core algorithm have been included for a much wider, more spacious reverb than was ever possible with the original hardware.
Additional filtering has been implemented in the early reflections module for much greater control over the spectral balance of this crucial reverb component within the mix.
Advanced Stereo and Surround Modes
One of the first ever surround algorithms ever to consider the effect of early and late reflections in a quadraphonic field, this pushed the dual-board design of the original hardware to the limit. Included in this recreation is its high density stereo mode, quadraphonic and special 5.0 routing configurations.
In stereo modes the reverb can be pushed towards the front, left in the centre for highest reflection density, or moved towards the rear of the simulated space.
Man, this plug in rocks. I’m really impressed. This is definitely a keeper for anyone who loves the 480L. Emulations are difficult to create, but this company knows what they’re doing. Absolutely awesome!!
I REALLY like this! Hard to believe it’s a plug-in.
Producer, thirteen-time Emmy winning composer, recording engineer, and guitarist with an extensive list of credits in music for television and recordings for major and independent labels.
It’s truly a welcomed addition to my efx toolbox. It sounds great on everything from percussion to drums, to keys, and strings and from small spaces to large lush halls.
Paul Vnuk Jr.
“Loved it on string trio…freaking wow! Just its initial preset sounds instantly amazing on a drum kit, and has that low end vibrating wood floor thing that sounds killer on kick drum. It’s a sound you have heard, you just probably don’t know where.”
Paul Vnuk Jr.
“Very powerful – not sure it can be improved. Already becoming my go-to ITB moisture.”
“Wow…massively powerful. It’s going to be a while before I learn all the things it’s capable of doing.”
Mix: Large Wood Room
Mix: Medium Hall
Mix: Large Chamber
Mix: Nice Place
Mitch Gallagher checks out HD Cart in this Sweetwater Minute video.
Check out the official demo video of Reverb Foundry HD•CART reverb plug-in, written and produced by Craig Anderton.
To run HD Cart you will need a DAW of the following specification or better.
- Windows 7 or macOS 10.9
- AAX, VST 2.4, VST 3, Audio Unit
- iLok 2/3, iLok Cloud or iLok local activation
- 50 MB per plug-in
Download HD Cart
HD Cart is available to download for Windows and macOS. A free demo is available using the iLok code below.
Download and install the software, then enter the following code in iLok License Manager for a free 14-day demo:
The installable software acts as the full and demo version.
iLok activation is required to run HD Cart. Local authorisation is supported directly to any computer with iLok License Manager installed, and iLok 2 or 3 hardware dongles are also supported.
Version 1.0.0 and above (30 October 2017)
Change-log and old versions
To update from an older version simply install the new version (there is no need to delete the old installation).
Version 1.1.2: 14 November 2019
- Fix for tail crop bug in some hosts
- Removal of the use of OpenGL in macOS following Apple’s deprecation of the API
Version 1.1.1: 30 April 2019
- Included 5.1 channel mode (LFE is not processed) for convenience when adding the plug-in to surround channel workflows
Version 1.1.0: 15 April 2019
- Support for iLok Cloud
Version 1.0.8: 6 November 2018
- Fix for a user preset menu selection bug when a large number of presets is present
Version 1.0.7: 5 November 2018
- Expanded the information available when clicking the HD Cart logo
- Interactive assistance mode (tool-tip help) added
- A link to the manual online can be selected
- The reverb tail is now cleared when when bringing the reverb back online after being disabled (where supported by the host)
Version 1.0.6: 1 November 2018
- Framework updates, no user facing changes
Version 1.0.5: 28 September 2018
- Minor bug-fixes
Version 1.0.4: 7 June 2018
- Minor bug-fixes
Version 1.0.3: 15 December 2017
- Minor bug-fixes
Version 1.0.2: 23 November 2017
- Now retains dry/wet value when changing user-specified presets in line with the factory preset behaviour
Version 1.0.1: 17 November 2017
- Modified initial presets to better reflect the state of the original hardware for increased authenticity
- Fixed bug on manual entry of decay time
- Fixed bug relating to the low boost level (for low boosts ~128 region)
Version 1.0.0: 30 October 2017
- Initial release.
A selection of additional user presets are available for download here.
The installation procedure is as follows:
- Download the zip archive
- Unzip it
- From within the HD Cart plug-in:
- Open the presets menu
- Navigate to the user presets sub-menu
- Select the option to view the user presets location
- A Finder or Explorer window should open
- Copy the files you just unzipped to this folder
- Additional user presets should now be available in the user presets sub-menu